The 2019 Golden Shield Heritage Awards winners are …
The National Heritage Council of South Africa (NHC) in partnership with the Limpopo Department of Arts, Sports and Culture honoured champions of heritage with their golden shields for their selfless contribution in preserving and promoting our heritage.
South Africa’s only heritage awards were hosted in Meropa Casino and Hotel on Friday, 20 September under the theme “Celebrating our unifying heritage”.
“Our country is beautiful due to the multifaceted, rich and diverse cultural heritage. It’s critically important to preserve, protect and promote our heritage in its many forms for future generations as a nation is characterised by cultural heritage”, said Chief Executive of the NHC, Adv. Sonwabile Mancotywa.
The prestigious awards will come back to Limpopo for the next two years to conscientise communities about the preservation of our African heritage.
The MEC for the Department of Sport, Arts and Culture, Thandi Moraka, had expressed her vision to explore programmes that will be taken into communities to involve more youth in heritage and culture.
Adv. Mancotywa further added, “this is why the NHC honours and acknowledges these unsung heroes, heroines and cultural heritage sites telling stories of our past.”
The selected finalists of the 13 categories are nominees submitted by the public and adjudicated by independent judges to determine winners and runners up. The finalists in the special categories of Ubuntu Honour and Lifetime Achievement have been nominated by the NHC.
The national Golden Shield Heritage Awards categories:
National Living Treasure
- Mr Cebisa Mabena (Mamelodi, Gauteng) – winner
Preferred Heritage Destination
- Peelton Congregational Church (Bisho, Eastern Cape) – winner
Young Heritage Activist
- Mr Moses Shimo Seletisha (Sunnyside, Pretoria) – winner
Best Community Project
- Gopane 4 Heritage Foundation (Zeerust, North West) – winner
- Holy Cross Ngquza Heritage (Bizana, Eastern Cape) – winner
- Ms Petra Thiessen-Terblanche (Giyani, Limpopo) – winner
- Mr Matsebe Lucas Lekalakala (Wonderpark, Pretoria)
Voice of Heritage
- Tholsi Mudly (Tongaat, Kwa-Zulu Natal) – winner
- Ms Nomatlou Mahlangu (Winterveldt, Pretoria)
Liberation Heritage Steward
- Dalisu Buthelezi (Kwaggasrand, Pretoria)
- Mr David ‘Dambuza’ Malada (Thohoyandou, Limpopo) – winner
Heritage Corporate Citizen
- Mr Lucas Ndala (Polokwane, Limpopo) – winner
- Mr David van Wyk (Upington, Northern Cape) winner
- Ms Naledzani Netshirembe
- Mr Joseph Mberengeni Maada (Soekmekaar, Limpopo) – winner
- Mr Ezra Sigwela (Mthatha, Eastern Cape) – winner
- Drs Caiphus Semenya and Letta Mbulu (Sandton, Gauteng) – winner
Categories Limpopo provincial heritage champions (all winners):
- Innovation – Mr Mpho Miriri and Ms Mmabore Gladys Mogashoa
- Research Excellence – Dr Tlou Setumu
- Dedicated Service – Mr Ndoweni Malala
- Heritage Education training and awareness – Dr Mashudu Dima
The winners of each of the above categories walked away with prize monies ranging from R5, 000 to R 15, 000. Drs Caiphus Semenya and Letta Mbulu were also honoured in absentia with a Lifetime Achievement Award.
Note to Editor: List of finalists with profiles of the finalists can be found on http://www.nhc.org.za/golden-shield-heritage-awards